Increasing your players' sprinting speeds will have them reaching the ball faster than their opponents, which can change the outcome of a match. Use this sprint speed soccer (football) drill and basic coaching tips to help.
Sprint skills coaching tips
Tell your players to:
- Keep their head and shoulders steady.
- Lean forward slightly.
- Only the front part of the foot touches the ground.
- Keep arms working next to, not across, the body.
- Lift the knees.
- Drive forward with each stride.
- Pump arms to chin height.
How to run the sprint skills drill
- Use one end of a pitch with a goal and goalkeeper.
- Split players into two lines at an angle around 25 yards from the goal.
- The front players in the line begin by jogging on the spot.
- You stand between the two lines and pass the ball into space for the front players from each line to chase.
- The first to the ball wins the chance to hold off their opponent and take a shot at goal.
- Repeat with the next pairing.
- Make sure players switch partners.
- Move both lines of players to approach the goal from a different angle.
How to develop soccer drill
Repeat this football (soccer) drill, but this time the players start with their back to goal, a few yards from their team-mates, and must tag the next player in line before turning for the ball.
Make the drill into a game
- Set up a playing area approximately 15 yards by 10 yards with six players.
- In pairs, the first two players, ‘A’ and 'B,’ start at the same end, with the ball placed centrally in front of them.
- On the command of one of the other players not participating, they sprint to the ball.
- If player A reaches the ball first, he must try to dribble the ball over the line at the far end, with player B defending. If player B reaches the ball first, he attempts to dribble the ball over the line both players started from, with player A defending. If a player is successful they get a point.
- The next two players repeat.
- Each pair has five attempts before players switch partners.
Click here to suBSCribe to Smart Sessions soccer coaching plans and get complete coaching sessions, at core or advanced level, dropping into your inbox each week.
Click here for more soccer (football) coaching tips to improve your players' sprint skills.