When you want to start coaching your football (soccer) players to develop a competitive edge, I find it best to work them in 1v1s where they are concentrating only on their opponent and the ball. This is a good soccer drill to use for a warm-up exercise, too.
1v1s force young soccer players to use all their basic football (soccer) skills to try to win the ball. In this soccer coaching session, players need fast reactions as they are forced to engage in a physical confrontation to win possession. This is where the competitive edge comes in.
Possession soccer drill
- For this soccer drill you need a goal, a goalkeeper and players divided in pairs.
- Start off around 20 yards from goal.
Run possession skills drill
- The players stand either side of you and face away from the goal.
- The players must react to your throw and race to the ball.
- The first player to reach the ball becomes the attacker. The second player is the defender and must use their strength to compete physically to win the ball.
Click here to order a copy of Perfect Defending Manual, which has 67 easy-to-coach soccer (football) drills for marking, tackling and blocking.
Click here for a 2v2 small-sided game to build possession skills.