Encourage your players to go through a defender using a nutmeg move, instead of going around them.
Key soccer coaching tip: the trick is to get the defender off balance.
- Control the ball before the defender gets within two strides of you. Determine which foot the defender has his weight on. Defenders are taught not to stand flat-footed, with their planted foot slightly ahead of their other foot.
- Push the ball to the outside of the defender’s planted foot. Keep contact with the ball as you push it no more than six to 12 inches.
- Allow the defender to shift his weight to his back foot while moving his front foot to block you.
- Redirect the ball toward the spot where the defender’s front foot was previously.
- Tap the ball between the defender’s legs. Step around the defender and you’ve opened up a number of possibilities.