One of the most important soccer skills you can teach your players is ball control. Follow these soccer coaching drill tips to help them focus on the techniques involved in improving their abilities.
Focus a whole training session on ball control
If you can get your players to control the ball with their first touch skills, you are well on your way to having a team of very skilled players. I suggest you run a session of training drills devoted to controlling the ball using as many surfaces of the body as possible.
Learn from watching the best
Tell your players to watch the great playmakers, such as Real Madrid's Ronaldo or Kaka. They can receive the ball and control it with any part of their body which gives them time to pass the ball or go on a dribbling run.
THE BASICS OF CONTROL ARE THE SAME WHETHER YOU CONTROL THE BALL WITH YOUR FEET, THIGH, CHEST OR HEAD.
Tell your players to:
- Get into line with the flight of the ball as quickly as they can and decide how they are going to control the ball.
- Work on soccer drills to control with their feet, thigh, chest or head, so they can receive the ball at any height. Trying to control a ball above waist height with your feet is not an easy skill, so why risk it when you can use your chest?
- Present the area of their body they want to control the ball with – their thigh for example.
- Get as large an area behind the ball as they can.
- If they are controlling the ball with their thigh then get the full face of it in line with the ball.
- As they make contact, relax the part of the body they are using. This helps them cushion the ball.
- It will then drop to the ground and they can then pass, shoot or run with the ball.