This drill is designed to improve the dribbling ability and skill level of your players through a series of technical exercises and small-sided games.
- Improving dribbling techniques to accelerate and change direction.
- Improving skills to beat defenders.
- Enhancing a winning mentality.
When dribbling with the ball, your players may have space and they need to pick up speed quickly to use this area. However, when there is little space, the players must be able to demonstrate quick feet, skills and turns to get past their opponent.
How to play it
Use an area 25 yards square.
The circuit includes four different techniques that should be worked on for two minutes each.
- Complete two turns inside the square to reach the opposite side.
- Players complete a skill to beat the mannequin.
- Players use quick feet to go diagonally through the crazy cones.
- Players accelerate and change direction across the area. Four balls work at all times.
How to develop it
Use four goals and four players to play a game (picture 2). Each player has three lives, if a goal is scored into a player’s goal then he loses a life. The last player standing is the winner.
You can progress this game so that each player has a goalkeeper (picture 3) this improves the ability to create space and shooting skills when under pressure. The game is continuous and requires lots of footballs.
This drill is taken from the Soccer Smart Sessions.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.