Run the crossbar challenge to improve your soccer players' heading skills.
Once in a while I like to throw into my football (soccer) training sessions some fun games to keep my players happy. The crossbar challenge is one such game.
How to play crossbar challenge
- This basic heading skills game is set up using the penalty area of whichever size soccer pitch you use.
- I line my players up in two rows with the first player in each row behind the line of the penalty area.
- A helper and I throw balls at the penalty spot from which the two teams have to head the ball. They must try and hit the crossbar of the goal.
- I set a time limit and see which team can hit the bar the most times within that time limit.
- This can also be used as a warm-up soccer (football) drill.
If you have an indoor training space with goals marked out on a wall, you can also use this heading drill for indoor soccer coaching sessions.
Click here to order a copy of Fun Soccer Games for 9 to 11 year olds.
Click here for football (soccer) training games to work on young players' heading skills.