In this small-sided soccer game, players throw the ball to each other to head goals.
The idea behind the game is taken from netball. The player with the ball in his hands cannot move, so the other players have to move around him.
You are looking for movement and technique in this small-sided soccer game. Movement off the ball and the technique your soccer players are using to head the ball and generate some power.
Because the ball is thrown, the headers are easy, so it also helps young soccer players who are new to heading or have been frightened by the idea of it.
Run the heading game
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum).
- Two teams of four soccer players.
- No keepers.
- The soccer game is played by throwing and catching the ball.
- The player in possession cannot move with the ball.
- This encourages his team-mates to make movements off the ball.
- The player in possession must not have the ball in their hands for longer than three seconds.
- This encourages quick passing and decision-making.
- A goal is scored by heading a thrown pass into the goal.
- A progression would be to allow soccer players to score by volleying a thrown pass into the goal.
To get more ideas for small-sided games, click here to order a copy of 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games.
Click here for coaching tips and drills to develop heading skills.