This is a great small-sided soccer game to give your defenders the challenge of working alone, then working in partnership. This is where the team with the ball is keen to keep possession or they will have to join the defenders.
Small-sided soccer game set up
- Pitch size: 30 x 20 yards (minimum) up to 40 x 25 yards (maximum).
- Two teams of four players.
- Divide the pitch into two halves.
- No goals.
How to play possession small-sided game
- To start, pass a ball into one of the teams, and call for a player from the other team to go into that half and defend.
- If the team in possession manages to make five passes, call for another player to go and defend in a 4v2 situation.
- If a defender wins the ball then the game transfers to the opposite half and the roles are reversed.
- The player guilty of losing possession must now run and defend in the other half.
- The winning team is the one that has all four of their opponents in their half and manages to make five passes.
Small-sided games are recommended as one of the best ways to coach your players in soccer skills. Michael Beale's 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games has all you need to run successful coaching sessions based on this system.
Click here for a soccer drill to improve your team's ability to defend as a unit.