If you have been working on getting your soccer (football) players to practise quick throw-ins during training, why not round the session off with a quick 4v4 game to put their quick-thinking throw-in skills to the test.
Small-sided game set up
- Set up a pitch around 30 x 20 yards.
- Use two teams of four soccer (football) players.
- Use the nearest soccer player to the goal as the keeper, but only one player can claim to be the keeper on each attack.
- What you are looking for is quick throw-ins and free-kicks – you can be quite liberal with your free-kick whistle.
- Explain to your players that there will be a lot of free-kicks. Sometimes a foul will not have been committed but the players are in good positions to take advantage.
- It is up to the coach to make sure he is aware of these situations occurring and blow his whistle as necessary.
- No goal kicks, restart with a kick out from the goal line.
If you would like more small-sided games, buy Michael Beale's 64 Small-Sided Soccer Games today. Click here to find out more.
Click here for soccer coaching tips to help your players take quick throw-ins.