This a reaction drill that gets soccer players on the move.
How to set it up:
- Place a football on each of four cones, arranged in a line.
- There should be five yards between each cone.
- Position yourself behind the cones.
- Your players should be about 15 yards in front of you, lined up in two rows.
- A soccer player from each row steps forward. They will go 1v1.
- Get the players to bounce on their toes, ready for the first instruction.
- Call out a numbered cone. The players must react, sprint and try to be the first to knock the ball off the cone.
- Players can use their bodies and arms to hold each other off but must not commit a foul.
- At the end of the move, each player rejoins the back of his queue.
Why this works:
This is a simple and quick drill that gets players mentally and physically tuned in. They’ll take pleasure in outmuscling an opponent in a 1v1 situation, and given that all of their team mates are watching, you can be sure of getting 100% commitment!
This is taken from The Ultimate Soccer Warm-Ups Manual, designed to put fun back into your training and make your sessions easier to coach.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.