A fun shooting game with aim of setting your attackers up for the chance to hit long-range shots at goal so they can catch the opposition out. MORE
Clever team attacking
Successful attacking play requires your players to combine effectively and intelligently. This session is designed to get them focused on combination and movement and encourages them to use their imagination.
What this session is about
- Improving the efficiency of attack play through good movement.
- Using your imagination to make the attack unpredictable.
What to think about
- Do your players use imagination when they are on the ball?
- Do they use imagination in their movement?
- Do they use a feint or disguise to fool the defenders?
- Are they static or do they move freely?
- 40 x 30 yard playing area
- One goal
- One goalkeeper
- The coach feeds balls from off the pitch
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||10-15 minutes||10-15 minutes||10-15 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
- Pass a ball in to your three unopposed attackers.
- The players must be in constant movement.
- They must make at least two passes and then complete the move with a shot at goal.
- You then pass a second and a third ball into play.
- The attackers must ensure that they each take a turn at having a shot on goal.
- The three attackers leave the pitch and you introduce your next group of attackers.
Repeat the session as above, but introduce 1, then 2, then 3 defenders to create a more complex challenge for your attackers.
Play a small-sided game with two goals and goalkeepers. Encourage your players to move and combine and use their imagination. Tell them you will award extra points for particularly effective combination play.
What to call out
- “Work with each other”
- “Show imagination”
- “Keep the ball moving”