Long passes can be a key way to open up an opposition defence or to find space on the pitch by switching play. A great way to help young players to spot longer passing options and to see beyond the first players in their line of vision. MORE
Fox in the box
Quick reactions in the penalty box can earn your team a lot of goals – players just need to be made aware of the chances that await alert minds.
What this session is about
- Reacting to the next ball in attacking positions.
- Scoring goals.
What to think about
- Rebounding player – move quickly towards the goal after a shot. Anticipate the shot and where the ball could fall, but don’t over-commit.
- Shooting player – aim across the goal.
- Keep the drill moving constantly.
- Asking players not immediately involved to double up as ball boys.
- Up to 12 players.
- Set out two areas, each 20 yards by 15 yards, side by side. Each area has a goal, but at opposite ends.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|15 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
Put a goalkeeper in each goal and line up the rest of the players in twos. The first pair runs up the pitch and plays a wall pass before player 1 has a shot.
The goalkeepers are conditioned to provide a rebound for player 2 to shoot from inside the penalty area.
These attackers then move to the second pitch and switch roles so the other has the rebound chance and then they join the queue again.
A new pair begin an attack on the first pitch at the same time. Rotate players so everyone has a turn in goal.
Take two players out of the queue and put one on each of the goal posts where the rebound takes place.
These defenders try to block the shot of the player trying to score from the rebound. Rotate players so everyone is a defender at some point.
Set up a playing area 30 yards by 40 yards with a goal on each of the longer touchlines.
Play 6v6 including goalkeepers, who are conditioned not to hold shots. Each team has three defenders, who stay in their defensive half, and two attackers, who stay in the attacking half. Encourage defenders to take lots of long shots and attackers to score off rebounds.
What to call out
- “Shoot hard and low across the keeper”
- “Put the rebound into the net”