This session coaches two-touch shooting, one of the weapons Aaron Ramsey of Juventus uses on the edge of the area to control and fire in a shot. This is a fun game that gets players competing against each other in teams MORE
Your attackers will have a better chance of beating the opposition goalkeeper if they strike the ball first time. A goalkeeper or defence is less likely to be ready to deal with such a shot and this could result in more goals for your team.
What this session is about
- Shooting and scoring goals.
- Trying out different shooting techniques.
- Gaining confidence to shoot with either foot.
What to think about
- Movement will create space to shoot.
- Passes need to accurate and well weighted.
- The shot should be aimed low and across the goalkeeper into the corners.
- Stay composed.
- Create power with the instep – toes down and ankle locked.
- Follow through with kick.
- Look for rebounds.
- Use an area 35 yards long by 20 yards wide with a goal on the half way line. Mark a line six yards either side of the goal.
- Ideally, use 12 players – one goalkeeper, one reserve goalkeeper outside the playing area, four attackers (two each side of the goal) and six servers (three either side of the goal on the edges).
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||10-15 minutes||15-20 minutes||10-15 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
The reserve goalkeeper rolls a ball to the servers who pass to the nearest pair of attackers. They must perform one of the following:
- Receiver hits a first-time shot.
- Receiver turns and shoots.
- Receiver pulls the ball back from a wide position for the second striker to shoot first time.
- Receiver plays a through pass for the second striker to hit a first-time shot.
- Receiver plays a one-two with second striker before shooting first time.
No shots are allowed inside the six-yard line. After each attempt, the servers on the opposite side start play.
Attackers swap with servers, and swap goalkeepers too. Then repeat the exercise.
One server from each side becomes a defender.
Attackers have a time limit in which to shoot and the first team to score three goals wins. Rotate players as before.
Play a small-sided game on a pitch 30 yards wide by 20 yards long, but with the goals opposite each other on the longer sides, making the pitch wide.
Award a point when players try the five specialist “hot shots” practised earlier in the session and another if a goal is scored from it.
What to call out
- “The goal doesn’t move so keep your eyes on the ball and your head still!”
- “Use proper technique on your weaker foot”