A good fullback will force flashy wingers wide in order to stop them from putting your goal under threat. Use this game to show your defenders what to do MORE
Last man standing
It is vital to improve the decision making of the last defender when caught in 1v1 and 2v1 situations. When a defender is isolated they must first look to force the play away from goal and second, they need to delay the attack and enable team mates to track back and help.
What this session is about
- Defending 1v1 or when outnumbered.
- Forcing the attackers away from goal.
- Delaying attackers so that team mates can recover to their positions.
What to think about
- The first thought of the defender is to cut off a direct route to goal and try to force the attacker into wide areas.
- If the defender is outnumbered, then cutting off the pass and isolating the attacker in possession is crucial to slowing the attack down and removing the passing option to the second attacker.
- At all times the defender is trying to slow down forward momentum to give time for team mates to run back and recover their positions.
Use an area 40 yards long by 30 yards wide for all practices.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
The server passes the ball to one of the attackers, as in the top picture, who attacks the defender in a 1v1. The defender needs to react quickly to cut off the path to goal by forcing the attacker wide and away from goal and then, if the opportunity arises, the defender can try to tackle and win possession of the ball. Alternate players so everyone is the “last man standing”.
A second attacker becomes active now to create a 2v1 attack. However, after passing to one of the attackers, the serving player runs to help the defender. The first defender tries to isolate the player in possession by staying tight and cutting off any passing options.
By doing this, the defender will slow down the attack and allow the second defender time to recover track back to a defensive position.
Make sure all players have a turn in each of the positions.
Split the squad into two teams. Each team nominates a last man standing to go in their defensive zone. The main game is played in the central zone of the pitch. The aim for the teams is to try and get a player into the opponent’s defensive zone to attack 1v1. The last man standing must now use the techniques learnt in the previous practices to stop the attacker scoring, regain possession and pass forward to a team mate. After four minutes, rotate each team’s last man standing in order to give each player the chance of playing this role. The team which scores most goals wins.
What to call out
- “React to the situation”
- “Force the attacker away from goal”
- “Slow the attacker down”
- “Can you win the ball?”