The short pass is the most basic element of soccer. Use these eight activities to hone the fundamental skill among your players. For beginners: Pass the ball 3 yards to a team mate. Sounds simplistic but a critical starting point to establish the core skills in your young players. Follow up with: Pass to a... MORE
Lose the ball, win it back
This is a vital lesson for all players to understand, if they give the ball away then they should naturally work hard for the team in order to regain possession.
What this session is about
- The importance of keeping possession.
- Reacting to the loss of possession by working hard to win it straight back.
What to think about
- This session will work your players hard so take plenty of drink breaks.
- Defending players should always hold a bib. Its quicker to change than wearing it.
- In the game situation note that roles are somewhat reversed. It is the attackers that are trying to win possession and the defenders that are in possession. This replicates the highpressure attackers must apply in a game.
- 4 x 10×10 yard squares (forming a 20x20yd square).
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||10 minutes||20 minutes||10 minutes||7 minutes|
What you get your players to do
Three players play possession against one defender, firstly using 1 touch and then 2 touch. If you lose the ball you must become the new defender.
Three of the four zones have 3v1 situations. One zone just has three players passing the ball with a bib on the floor.
In the 3v1 zones, if you give the ball away then you must sprint to the zone with no defender and then pick up the bib in order to defend 3v1.
If you win the ball – or it leaves the grid – then you stay in your zone, drop the bib and become a passing player.
One team keep possession using the goalkeeper. If a player gives the ball away then they must defend 1v1 against the opponent for 5 seconds. All other players must freeze whilst this happens If the player defends successfully, possession is retained. If the opponent scores, they then become the defending team.
What to call out
- “React to losing possession”
- “Immediately pressure”
- “Can you win the ball?”