According to Fulham coach Steve Wigley this is a great session for passing and receiving, something that you cannot practise enough of if you want your team to retain possession and move the ball up the pitch into attacking areas. MORE
Spain and Barcelona mesmerise their opponents when in possession of the ball. Improve your players’ composure when they have the ball to emulate the Spanish. This session will help your players retain possession and if the opposition do not have the ball, they cannot score any goals.
What this session is about
- The team becoming more composed on the ball.
- Keeping possession by using the whole pitch.
- Playing quick and simple passes in order to make opponents chase the ball.
What to think about
- In order to be composed on the ball, players need to have a good first touch and passing ability.
- When keeping the ball, communication is vital and helps make up the mind of the player in possession.
- Passing the ball is not enough. Players need to follow this up by moving off to receive again or to create space for the player on the ball.
Use a 40 yards long by 30 yards wide area for the session.
Use a pitch 60 yards by 40 yards for the development and game
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
Split the group into two teams. You pass to the black team and call the name of a white player to run into the other half to win the ball.
If the white player wins the ball, play transfers to the white team’s half and the black player who gave the ball away tries to win the ball back.
If a team makes five passes another opponent runs in to help his team mate. If another five passes are completed, another opponent runs in to help and so the exercise continues.
The winning team is the one which forces the opposition to commit the most players into their half during 15 minutes.
Play a small-sided game with four neutral players playing outside the pitch as full backs and wide players. Outside players are limited to two touches and cannot pass to each other (use cones to block the channels).
The team in possession tries to build an attack and score by using the outside players. This game ensures the team in possession is spreading out and using the whole of the wide pitch.
Play a small-sided game called the 1-0 game. Whichever team scores the first goal is not allowed to score again until the opponents score.
The team in possession tries to kill time in order to win the game 1-0. However, if the opponents score a goal then the roles are reversed with the other team now leading 1-0 and keeping possession.
When the game ends after 15 minutes, the team which has the 1-0 lead is the winner.
What to call out
- “Relax on the ball and make a simple pass”
- “When the ball moves, you move on”
- “Spread out and use the whole pitch”