An end-to-end game that trains your players to successfully defend corners and to counterattack straight out of defence while your opponents are still upfield MORE
Force the opposition sideways into the wide areas when they are in possession to keep the main threat away from goal with this session.
What this session is about
- Keeping attackers away from goal.
- Making attackers go the way you want them to go.
What to think about
- Move quickly while the ball is travelling, to within touching distance of attacker, but slow down on final approach.
- Place body between the attacker and the target.
- Be balanced and adopt a slightly side-on body shape, crouching slightly, with knees bent and with weight on the balls of the feet.
- Force the opponent sideways.
- Stay on the feet unless certain of winning the ball.
- Communicate with first defender.
- Provide angled cover (behind and “goal side”) and be ready to make an effective challenge if the first defender is beaten.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||5 minutes|
What you get your players to do
Play on a 30-yard square with a 10-yard square at one end.
A defender starts outside the small square and the attacker outside the big one. The defender passes to the attacker who attempts to dribble into the small square. The defender attempts to stop him for a set time period. The ball is dead once a tackle is made, the time is reached or the square is reached.
Variation: The defender starts from one of the sidelines of the large square.
Play 2v2 on the same pitch with the same rules.
Possible variations include the second defender starting from the sideline as in the previous drill or the second attacker starting as a server from the sideline before joining in. Defenders switch pressing/covering roles depending on who’s nearest the ball.
Play 4v4 plus manned goals on a 40 x 30-yard pitch. The goals are in 10-yard squares. Goals scored from within these squares count double.