The 1v1 duel pitches two players in a tight situation where there can only be one winner. Who has got the determination and skill to claim the ball and dribble past their opponent to score a goal? MORE
Step-over and shoot
If there’s a defender standing in the way between an attacker and the goal, then using a step-over is a great way to create space for a shot.
What this session is about
- Improving dribbling skills and close control.
- Feinting to wrong-foot and beat the last defender.
- Shooting across the goalkeeper.
What to think about
- Dribble – Approach defender slowly, step-over, accelerate past.
- Step-over – When moving right, left foot circles ball once anti-clockwise, left shoulder dips, outside of right foot pushes ball past.
- Shooting – Non-kicking foot alongside ball, “laces” through middle-to-top half, head still, eyes on ball, body over it, follow through.
Area approx 40 x 20m with a pole or triangular cone placed in the middle. Using poles or corner flags, create target zones in the corners of the goals.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||5 minutes|
What you get your players to do
Split players into two groups, starting from opposite corners of the pitch to the right of each goal. The first player from each group starts at the same time by dribbling towards the pole, performing a step-over to the right then shooting into the corner of the goal. After shooting the players join the back of the other line and the second players set off.
Move the groups to start from the corners of the pitch to the left of each goal, so they practice their step-overs to the left.
Replace the pole in the middle with a pair of passive defenders (players who have just taken a shot can be the defender for a turn).
You can also remove the poles in each goal and add a goalkeeper at either end.
Two teams of 4 players line up 20-25 metres from goal. The 1st player from Team A must use their skill to beat the 1st player from Team B and score past the goalkeeper (1). After the shot, the 1st player from Team A becomes the defender in the 1v1 situation and tries to stop the 2nd player from Team B (2).
Award points for successfully completing the step-over, for scoring, and bonus points for scoring across the goalkeeper in the corner. The team with the most points wins.
What to call out
- “Start slowly at first to get technique right”
- “Keep the ball under close control”
- “Now blast past the defender”
- “Hit the target”