Very good session for getting players to cover the back because one team has no goalkeeper. The opposition can look for different ways to score especially shooting early or chipping the defence. Great for match play. Why use it Big overload for team with no goalkeeper coaches players in the need to shoot early when... MORE
Stop attackers turning
Keep an attacker that has the ball with their back to your goal and they won’t be able to pass or dribble into the space behind your defence.
What this session is about
- Stopping forward or through passes.
- Stopping good dribbling players from turning and attacking your defenders.
- Forcing opponents away from goal.
What to think about
- Make up ground to within touching distance of the attacker while the ball is passed from the server.
- Position body between attacker and target player.
- Stand slightly sideways on ready to move quickly in any direction.
- Get a clear view of ball.
- Tackle when attacker is half-turned and not screening the ball.
- Circular area approx 20 yards in diameter (the center circle can be used).
- 6 players.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||5 minutes|
What you get your players to do
2 players – 1 attacker and 1 defender – start inside the playing area, with the defender initially giving the attacker some space.
1 server and 1 target player start on the edge of the circle in one half, with the other server and target player on the edge of the other half. All 4 players on the outside of the circle should be spaced apart equally.
The attacker receives the ball from a server and must attempt to turn and pass the ball to the target player on edge of the other half of the circle. Whatever the outcome, the drill is repeated with the attacker next receiving a pass from the server in the other half.
Rotate players so they all have a go at being the defender.
The unused server becomes a target player. The defender now has to cut off two options for the attacker.
Increase the size of the circle.
Set a time limit and award points to the attacker each time they pass to a target player, with the defender getting points for preventing the turn.
What to call out
- “Get tight but not too tight so you can be “rolled”
- “Watch the ball, not the movement of the player”
- “Be patient – don’t dive in”