Practice Plans provide the blueprint for an entire session for you to run with your team. A quick read through and you've got a ready-made session to take on to the pitch. Perfect for when you're running late and don't have time to hunt around for new ideas. MORE
A stop-turn allows your players to send opponents the wrong way by changing direction quickly and will give them more time on the ball to make a killer pass.
What this session is about
- Shaking off a close defender.
- Creating space.
- Changing the direction of play.
What to think about
- Approach the ball on the run and place left foot to the side as if preparing to pass or shoot.
- Stop the ball by placing right foot on top, taking care not to bring foot down too hard.
- Stop running as quickly as possible.
- Get half-turned with right foot behind the ball and left acting as brake/pivot.
- Use left foot to push off and outside of right to move ball in the opposite direction.
- 3 players, 1 ball.
- 4 disc cones, each a different colour, in a line with gaps of approximately 4m, 8m and 4m between them. Spacing can be changed to suit the age of players.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||5 minutes|
What you get your players to do
Players line up behind Cone 1. Player A runs to Cone 3, turns back to Cone 2, turns back to Cone 4 before turning and running back to Cone 1 to pass to the next player, who repeats the drill.
Begin slowly at first and repeat the drill using the other foot.
Players A and B line up at one end with player C at the other. Player A runs to Cone 3, but as he passes Cone 2, Player B gives chase to try and tag him. When Player A turns at Cone 3, Player B stops giving chase and Player C begins, and must try to tag Player A before he reaches Cone 1.
Give each player a chance to practice their turning under pressure and using both feet.
Set up goals on all four sides of a pitch approx 15 x 15m. Play 2v2, with one team attacking the goals across the width of the pitch, and the other attacking the goals down the length of the pitch. After each goal the teams switch to attacking the other set of goals.
What to call out
- “Slow down – get the technique right first”
- “Attack the turn”
- “Sprint away”