Don't just dig out your boot bag the day before training is due to start and polish your boots... there's more to getting ready for the new season than that. Map out your pre-season fitness blueprint for you and your players. MORE
This training session is designed to develop your players’ facility for intensive endurance. This could give you the advantage you need to win more matches.
What this session is about
- Improving the players’ ability to maintain high intensity running whilst fatigued.
- Translating the learnt skills into a soccer based drill.
What to think about
- At each turn focus on the correct turning technique – small steps and quick feet.
- After every turn perform acceleration correctly.
- Body position (lean from ankles) be aware that some players will bend at the waist which is counter productive.
- Use of arms (powerful and dynamic), elbows at 90’ moving full range.
- Maintain quality of movement when fatigued.
- Place poles on the corners of the 18 yard boxes and at the intersection of the halfway line and touchlines.
- Then place 6 poles around the centre circle adjacent to the outer poles.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
- Start at one of the poles placed around the centre circle.
- Run out and around the outer pole placed opposite.
- Return back to the centre circle pole and continue around the set up in a clockwise direction until you get back to your start pole.
- Rest while another player runs the course.
- Repeat in an anti-clockwise direction.
Introduce a ball at each of the outer poles for the players to receive and return (with quality and care) before turning and continuing with the course (receiving a ball at each pole) until the player returns to their start position.
In a large area (30 x 30m) play a 4 v 4 keep ball game with spare players around the edge of the area. At every opportunity the player in possession is encouraged to pass to a spare player, follow his pass collect the ball, turn and continue the play.
What to call out
- “Every turn is a new acceleration.”
- “Powerful arm drive.”
- “Maintain good form.”