If you want your players to beat defenders with style, run this session. Getting young players to dribble and beat their opponent in 1v1 situations is vital to getting behind the opposition defence and creating goalscoring chances. MORE
The stepover is a simple trick that once mastered will enable your players to wrong-foot defenders and dribble past them.
What this session is about
- Unbalancing and beating a defender.
- Creating space.
What to think about
Stepover using right foot:
- Move right foot to the left of ball then…
- …feint to use outside of right foot but move it over the top of the ball from left to right.
- Plant right foot on the right side of the ball.
- Spring off on right foot, taking the ball to the left with the outside of the left foot.
- Each player has a ball.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||5 minutes|
What you get your players to do
Without dribbling the ball, each player practices the stepover slowly and repeatedly.
Now repeat with the weaker foot.
To progress, repeat the practice, but this time the players dribble the ball a short distance before attempting a stepover.
Players pair up with one of them being a passive defender. Now the players with the ball must practise dribbling, performing the skill just in front of the defender to commit them, and then accelerating past.
Repeat, steadily increasing the speed of the move.
After several attempts going past the defender on both sides, the players switch roles.
Two teams of 4 players line up approx 20-25 metres away from goal.
1st player from Team A must use their skill to beat 1st player from Team B and score a goal past a goalkeeper.
After the shot, the 1st player from Team A becomes the defender in the 1v1 situation and tries to stop the 2nd player from Team B.
Award extra points for successfully using the stepover to beat the defender.
What to call out
- “Take your time – don’t rush it”
- “Keep the ball under close control”
- “Be light on your feet”
- “Approach the defender slowly, stepover, then blast past!”