This tactical game is great for getting players thinking about who should be the attacker and how to make the most of points given to players MORE
The Ultimate Striker
Soccer is an unpredictable game and the complete striker needs to have the tools to be able to react to all situations. This session gives your players the chance to attempt a range of finishing techniques in a short and intense period of time.
What this session is about
- Practicing a range of finishing techniques.
- Reacting to unpredictable situations.
What to think about
- Do your players play at full speed and intensity?
- How quickly do they get into the box?
- Make sure they try lots of different ways to score e.g. chipping the goalkeeper, going around, power shots, placement, curl etc.
- Are they trying too hard? Make sure they take the time to use the correct technique and that they don’t miss the chance because they’re in too much of a rush.
- Two goals on either side of an 18 yard box or width-ways on a 5-a-side pitch.
- Two goalkeepers.
- Four servers, one at each corner.
- The striker starts at the cone in the centre of the playing area.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||10-15 minutes||15-20 minutes||10-15 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
- The striker receives a lay back from server 1 for a first time shot into the right-hand goal.
- Immediately server 2 passes a ball into space and the striker runs to shoot first time at the left-hand goal.
- The striker then receives a pass from server 3 and must turn to shoot at the right-hand goal.
- Finally, server 4 plays an aerial cross for the striker to head or volley first time at the left-hand goal.
Now introduce a defender into the session. Make him start just behind the striker. His job is not necessarily to make the tackle – just get him to put enough pressure on the striker so that he must play at match-speed and so that he isn’t able to take his time on the ball.
Only introduce the defender when your strikers have had several turns on the circuit and are already comfortable with the exercise.
Play a small-sided game with two goals and goalkeepers. Encourage your players to attack at speed and tell them you will award extra points for goals scored from first-time shots.
What to call out
- “React to the next ball”
- “Take it as it comes”
- “Hit the target”