The key rondos passes can be used in tactical play during matches to play between the lines with the key play splitting lines of defence to create goalscoring runs MORE
More than 80% of goals are scored in three or fewer passes after regaining possession of the ball. An alert move forward after winning the ball can catch defences out and give your team chances to score goals.
What this session is about
- Pressing your opponents and regaining possession of the ball.
- Passing forward quickly when play is regained.
- Taking a shot at goal after three passes or fewer.
What to think about
- When regaining the ball, can your team play a quick forward pass to catch the opponents’ defence off guard?
- Once a forward pass is made, can the team have supporting players running forward to help the player in possession?
- When your team wins the ball back, can they make three quick passes and shoot?
Use a pitch 50 yards long by 30 yards wide.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes|
What you get your players to do
Three players start on the pitch and receive a pass from a team mate on the outside of the pitch. The players are limited to two touches and must combine quickly to take a shot at goal. The players must not use more than three passes before shooting. The player who has shot at goal must now run off the area at the opposite end and allow a new player on to the pitch. The exercise now works in the other direction and swaps after each attack with the shooter being replaced.
The black team attacks the white team’s goal in a 4v4 situation. If the whites win the ball, they look to break upfield quickly.
The attackers can use as many touches as they like but are limited to three passes before shooting at goal.
If a team can score a goal using three or fewer passes after winning the ball, it earns two points.
Goals scored with more passes only earn one point. The team with most points wins the game.
What to call out
- “Play a quick forward pass”
- “Make forward runs to support your team mates”
- “Get your shots off early”