This shows how effective a flick on can be and helps players exploit the space in the box by moving to the area they know the ball will be delivered to. MORE
Three zone attack
This session improves your team’s attacking play through a series of small-sided games. These take place on a pitch divided into three playing zones, allowing you to set different conditions for the players to create goal scoring chances.
What this session is about
- Improving team attacking
- Gaining half a yard to shoot at goal.
- Dribbling into the final third of the pitch.
- Making forward runs off the ball.
What to think about
The three games look to improve the team’s variety of attacks.
- Game 1 improves the players’ ability to find half a yard and shoot from the edge of the penalty area. It also improves other players’ reactions to attacking or defending a rebound.
- Game 2 allows players the chance to show disguise by pretending to shoot, and then use skill to beat a defender and dribble into the penalty area to score.
- Game 3 develops the attack as players find space to shoot or dribble. Now they pass the ball and look to make forward runs beyond the defence to receive a return pass and shoot.
Create a 54 yards by 30 yards playing area, divided into three 18 yards by 30 yards zones. Have a goal at either end with goalkeepers. Divide outfield players into 5v5.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
This game is played in the central zone. Players must pass quickly or use skill to gain half a yard before shooting.
The range of shots will be from between 18 yards and 36 yards, so players will be working on shooting from distance.
When a shot is on target, one defender and one attacker may run into the end zone to deal with rebounds.
Progress the game by placing a defender in each team’s end zone. Players can now shoot from the central zone or dribble into the end zone to create a 1v1 with the defender.
This game will provide the attacker with the option of pretending to shoot before showing disguise and dribbling into the end zone to score.
Remove the defender and place a forward in each end zone. Players can now shoot from the central zone, show disguise and dribble, or pass to the forward and make a supporting run to receive a return pass in order to shoot.
What to call out
- “Be clever with your movement.”
- “Find a half yard and shoot.”
- “Pass quickly to disorganise the defence.”