This session works on patterns of play building up to the final ball into the striker. Important for youth players to understand the role of the support players in build up play. MORE
Win the race for open space
It is vital to encourage inventive play in the attacking. third of the pitch, your players should practise co-ordinated forward runs off the ball that will enable them to open up space and therefore create opportunities to shoot for goal.
What this session is about
- Combination forward play.
- Creating space.
What to think about
- General – being inventive. Timing, direction, position of runs, timing and weight of pass, attack at pace, communication (signal, trigger movement etc), playing with head up.
- Types of runs – cross over, overlap, decoy runs, wall pass, diagonal.
Use a playing area 30 yards by 20 yards, two goalkeepers plus eight to 10 outfield players
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||20 minutes||20 minutes||30 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
- Split outfield players into two teams. Line teams up at opposite ends of the playing area along the goal lines. Assign each player a number, from say one to six. Shout out three numbers, the first two corresponding to two players on one team, and the third to a member of the opposing team.
- The first team’s goalkeeper rolls the ball to one of his two team mates, starting a 2v1 situation where the defender is passive. Once the attack is over, the players return to their start positions and the drill is repeated with the second team being the attackers.
- To progress, make the defender active.
- This time the coach shouts out two numbers, and the corresponding players from each play in a 2v2.
- Add an extra attacker to make a 3v2.
Now play a normal game of 4v4 where both teams try to score. Temporarily remove a player from one team and encourage the other team to exploit the overload situation.
What to call out
- “Go for goal yourself if your team mate’s run attracts the defender”
- “Work with each other”
- “Time your run”