Real Madrid win the ball back quickly. They don’t wait for opponents to make a mistake, they force mistakes so they can regain possession. With this session your team will too. WHY USE IT This session is all about pressing play and winning the ball, and if your team has the ball, the opposition cannot... MORE
Work hard to win the ball
Working hard to win possession and then keeping the ball for your team.
What this session is about
When the opponents have the ball your team has no option but to work hard in order to win back possession. Therefore, it is vitally important that you keep the ball when you are in possession.
What to think about
- To warm up have the players work on passing and receiving skills before moving on to dribbling skills. Dribbling and passing are two ways you keep possession in football so this will prepare them for the session ahead.
- Trying to win the ball back on individually can be hard work so players benefit from taking a rest in the larger area after they have chased the ball down.
- 10×10 yard inside area, 20×20 outside area.
|Warm up||Session||Developments||Game Situation||Warm Down|
|10 minutes||5 minutes||15 minutes||20 minutes||10 minutes|
What you get your players to do
Four attackers go into the 10x10yd area, the defender must try to pressure the attackers and win the ball.
If successful, the defender must pass the ball out to a team mate and then go to take their place. The team mate receiving dribbles into the area.
The attacker that lost the ball must now defend and try to win the ball back.
Play 4 attackers v 2 defenders in the smaller central area.
If the 2 players win the ball, can they pass out to their team mates?
Now the game is 6v4 in the larger area.
If the 4 players win possession the game restarts in the central area with the players rotating roles.
Play a small sided game. Look what happens when possession is lost.
Do the players react quickly?
On regaining possession do players give the ball away cheaply?
What to call out
- “React to losing possession”
- “Can you win the ball back?”
- “Keep the ball”
- “Make 3 quick passes”