This warm up is ideal for training sessions about retaining possession and finding players in key positions. This concept is really important for teams that manage to have the lion’s share of possession in games yet find the opposition denying them space in the final third. MORE
Leg press with a ball
This five minute fitness drill can be used during your training sessions for a quick break to help coaching points sink in, or as an incentive for a drinks break.
Why use it
Great exercise for strengthening the legs. Very easy to set up all your players need is a ball each.
How to do it
- Players lie on their backs.
- Keep lower back on the ground.
- Arms should be by their sides to support their body.
- Squeeze ball between ankles.
- Press legs until they are straight then pull knees back slowly towards face keep lower leg pointing straight forward.
- Do five leg stretches then rest for 20 seconds. Do four sets.
How to advance it
Tell players to do 10 leg stretches with no rest.
- 1. Players need to lie on their backs with legs held up so they can grip a ball
- 2. Arms should be out by the sides creating a firm base on the ground
- 3. Bring the knees towards your face then push away