What I love about my U9s team is that when I come out to warm them up before a match they are all ready and sitting there waiting for me... with a cheer they all descend on the bag of training balls and start warming themselves up. MORE
Leg press with a ball
This five minute fitness drill can be used during your training sessions for a quick break to help coaching points sink in, or as an incentive for a drinks break.
Why use it
Great exercise for strengthening the legs. Very easy to set up all your players need is a ball each.
How to do it
- Players lie on their backs.
- Keep lower back on the ground.
- Arms should be by their sides to support their body.
- Squeeze ball between ankles.
- Press legs until they are straight then pull knees back slowly towards face keep lower leg pointing straight forward.
- Do five leg stretches then rest for 20 seconds. Do four sets.
How to advance it
Tell players to do 10 leg stretches with no rest.
- 1. Players need to lie on their backs with legs held up so they can grip a ball
- 2. Arms should be out by the sides creating a firm base on the ground
- 3. Bring the knees towards your face then push away