The last pre-season training session is all about stepping up and brushing up. You’re looking for the final pieces of the jigsaw to fit into place with your players, as they put into practice everything they’ve learnt so far. MORE
Soccer coaching laws of the game Law 1 field of play
These soccer coaching tips are designed to help coaches and players understand the laws of the game. This article looks at Law 1, the rules associated with the field of play.
The length of the touchline must be greater than the length of the goal line.
Small-sided games – recommended pitch sizes:
- Under 6, 7 and 8 years of age: 35 yards x 25 yards.
- Under 9 and 10 years of age: 45 yards x 35 yards.
- Under 11 and 12 years of age: 70 yards x 50 yards.
11-a-side games – recommended pitch size all ages:
- Length (touch line): minimum 100 yards maximum 13 yards.
- Width (goal line): minimum 50 yards maximum 100 yards.
- All lines must be of the same width, which must be not more than 5 inches.
Field of play: measurements
Click the link to get soccer coaching tips delivered direct to your inbox when you subscribe to Soccer Coach Weekly.
Click the link for Laws of the game, Rule 2: the ball.