With the pending sale of the home of England football could grassroots coaches like you and I benefit from a huge amount of investment. The billionaire owner of Fulham football club is the architect of an extraordinary deal to buy Wembley stadium worth almost £900m. Shahid Khan, who also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars American football... MORE
Soccer coaching laws of the game Law 1 field of play
These soccer coaching tips are designed to help coaches and players understand the laws of the game. This article looks at Law 1, the rules associated with the field of play.
The length of the touchline must be greater than the length of the goal line.
Small-sided games – recommended pitch sizes:
- Under 6, 7 and 8 years of age: 35 yards x 25 yards.
- Under 9 and 10 years of age: 45 yards x 35 yards.
- Under 11 and 12 years of age: 70 yards x 50 yards.
11-a-side games – recommended pitch size all ages:
- Length (touch line): minimum 100 yards maximum 13 yards.
- Width (goal line): minimum 50 yards maximum 100 yards.
- All lines must be of the same width, which must be not more than 5 inches.
Field of play: measurements
Click the link to get soccer coaching tips delivered direct to your inbox when you subscribe to Soccer Coach Weekly.
Click the link for Laws of the game, Rule 2: the ball.