The best teams communicate on the pitch. Players encourage one another, call for the ball, organise the defence and look around them to see who is open to the pass. Communication is the key to making your team more successful. Here are four ways to help your players communicate better. Start by giving your players... MORE
Soccer coaching laws of the game Law 1 field of play
These soccer coaching tips are designed to help coaches and players understand the laws of the game. This article looks at Law 1, the rules associated with the field of play.
The length of the touchline must be greater than the length of the goal line.
Small-sided games – recommended pitch sizes:
- Under 6, 7 and 8 years of age: 35 yards x 25 yards.
- Under 9 and 10 years of age: 45 yards x 35 yards.
- Under 11 and 12 years of age: 70 yards x 50 yards.
11-a-side games – recommended pitch size all ages:
- Length (touch line): minimum 100 yards maximum 13 yards.
- Width (goal line): minimum 50 yards maximum 100 yards.
- All lines must be of the same width, which must be not more than 5 inches.
Field of play: measurements
Click the link to get soccer coaching tips delivered direct to your inbox when you subscribe to Soccer Coach Weekly.
Click the link for Laws of the game, Rule 2: the ball.