One of the most interesting parts of being a coach is getting a grip on the tactics that a team plays – one thing for sure is there are a million different ways to play the game. A coach needs to create a playing style for the team and also have a number of different styles up his sleeve should the tactics prove ineffective against the team they are playing. MORE
Fast and furious
This quick free-kick is designed to catch opponents on the back foot. Without time to organise, they will be caught out not only by the speed of play but the switch of play. As they follow the ball, one or two attackers can sneak around the back of the defence into great positions for a shot at goal.
Use your pitch from just inside the opposition half. You need balls, bibs, cones and two teams.
How to play
Every player needs to be alert during this game. It is a good idea to give the free-kick a name that can be called out so everyone moves. The kicker could shout ‘USAIN BOLT’ so your players know it’s a quick free-kick.
The element of surprise will give your team a big advantage, especially if the free-kick is near the half way line with players unaware of the danger. Fast movement and a switch of play should be enough to create a chance for your players to score but if one of your players fails to move quickly, the exercise will break down.
- 1. A free-kick is given. Two players stand with ball in hands and backs to opposition. One calls ‘USAIN BOLT’ to trigger the move. He puts the ball down and passes to the right side. The other player runs towards the right side of the penalty area
- 2. On hearing the call, the right back forward and passes the ball down the line to the player who has moved
- 3. The trigger movement will have dragged a number of defenders over to try and win the ball on that side of the pitch, leaving space on the other side as they approach. The ball is switched to the other side of the penalty area
- 4. One or two players sneak around the back of the defence to the left of the penalty area
- 5. The players should get a good chance to shoot and they should also be alert for a rebound off the keeper or the woodwork