In the latest return to play guidelines you can easily work within the rules with your striker and goalkeeper – two key positions in the team. The focus can be on either player, but I am going to give my striker a workout which the goalkeeper can also learn from. I am always looking beyond... MORE
The attacking team has an overload but can the defending team use their players to create their own overload and win the ball back so they can score?
Why use it
Overloads are a common thing in youth soccer and this session shows players how to take control of the session.
You need balls, bibs, cones and two goals. Set up an area 30 x 20 yards. We used 10 players in the session
How to do it
Set your players up in 6 attackers v 4 defenders arranged as 3 attackers v 2 defenders in each half of the pitch. The two zones are separated by a strip 5 yards wide that the attackers cannot cross, but the defenders can. This means the defenders can change the 3v2 into 3v3 or 3v4 depending on where the ball is and where the players are. The coach plays into one of the 3v2s and they must make 3 passes before trying to put the ball into one of the target goals or they pass to their team mates in the other zone. This will be an option if more defenders come across and stop the attackers from scoring but leaving the other side of the area open for a pass. If the defenders win the ball they can try and score immediately
Movement, first touch, passing, pressing and anticipation.
- 1. The coach passes into one of the 3v2s and the game starts with the attackers trying to make 3 passes before they can shoot
- 2. Here good closing down by a defender from the other side forces the attacker to play across to his teammate in the other half
- 3. Defenders can cross the central zone but the attackers cannot so the defending team must use clever tactics to increase the pressure without leaving one side open
- 4. The attacking team must make use of the ball and pass into the other zone when they can
- 5. If the defending team wins the ball they can immediately try to score