Teams can get into the final third but often fail to convert chances. This focuses on finishing using combinations, passing, crossing and a variety of finishes. MORE
When teams have possession of the ball they must use it wisely – when they haven’t got possession they must win it back. This coaches players in the art of winning the ball back both as individuals and as a team, emphasising the value of players being hard to beat.
You need balls, bibs, poles (or cones) and a 4 small goals, in an area 30 x 25 yards wide. You need to use poles or cones to create 8 goals set up as pictured. We used 14 players in the session.
How to play it
Split your players into two teams of 7 playing in a 7v7 game. Teams get three points for scoring in the bigger goals and 1 point for dribbling or passing through a gate – the pass must be received by a team mate. When scoring in one of the bigger goals, your team retains possession. Play is restarted in the opposite diagonal bigger goal. Start this as a three-touch game and progress to two-touch.
Tempo, enthusiasm, communication and working together is key to success in the session.
1. Play starts with a pass from the coach to one of the teams who must try to combine to score
2. Here the team in possession lose the ball and the opposition quickly make use of the ball and score
3. Here the team makes a good chance to score in one of the gate goals by passing to a team mate…
4. …but the opposition player is quickly across and blocks the shot putting the ball out of play
5. Here the player scores in the gate goal by creating space and passing the ball to a team mate