A good final ball can create a solid scoring opportunity. The aim of this session is to get players passing like Juventus and to create scoring chances for your own Cristiano Ronaldo MORE
Beat stubborn defenders
Use this game to teach your players how to beat stubborn defenders. This session gives the attacking team a deadline to win the ball and score goals. It also puts the pressure on the defenders to keep hold of the ball and encourages midfield/attackers to win it and score
Set up an area of 40×30 yards with a goal at one end. We’ve used 13 players in this session including a goalkeeper. You need bibs, balls, cones and a goal.
How to play it
Split your players into six defenders, six attackers and a keeper. The six attackers start at one end, with the defenders in place protecting the goal. Start with four attackers and have two resting for each attack. Change the two resting players each time.
The defenders start with the ball and have to keep it for one minute to score a point. The attackers must win the ball, and if they do win it they have one minute to score a goal. Play for six balls and then swap the teams over.
The attacking players must use interceptions, pressing and tackling to hassle the defenders and win the ball. Once the ball is won, they need to use it and score a goal quickly.
- 1. The game starts with a pass out from the goalkeeper and the defenders must keep possession for one minute to score a point
- 2. Four of the attacking team must try to win the ball before one minute is up
- 3. If the attacking team win the ball they have one minute to create space and make a goalscoring chance. Here a dribble past the defender creates a goal
- 4. Teams have 6 attacks to score as many goals as possible and the resting players should change after each attack.
- 5. Here the attacker intercepts the ball – get players to press, jockey, intercept and tackle to make sure they win the ball quickly