Coach your players how to capitalise on an accurate pass out of midfield with this session that is guaranteed to set up goalscoring opportunities. MORE
Behind the defence
This session is all about the timing of runs and through balls to beat the offside trap and get behind the defence. This is one of the biggest strengths of the Juventus midfield and it’s a very successful way of playing.
Set up an area of 50×30 yards with two end zones of 10 yards. We’ve used 14 players. You need balls, bibs, cones and goals.
How to play it
The middle zone of the pitch is 30×30 yards and this is where most of the action takes place. The game starts with a pass from a goalkeeper into a player in the middle zone and the attacking team must try to play passes behind the defence. Only the attacking team can go into the end box they are attacking, but they must time their runs because that is the offside line.
This is a great game for timing runs and passes into the zone in front of goal. Because teams can only score by beating the offside trap, you will see players dribbling into the box and playing some great balls for their teammates to run onto. Watch for quick counterattacking when players win the ball in midfield.
- 1. Play starts with a pass from the goalkeeper to the players in the middle zone
- 2. The end zones are offside zones so play must be through balls to run onto or through players dribbling into the zone
- 3. Counterattacks are a potent weapon in the game and both teams must battle hard in the middle zone to win the ball
- 4. Here a second goal is scored when the white team intercept and plays a great through ball switching play and catching the defence out
- 5. The team trailing 2-0 are finding it tough to make through passes, so one player decides to dribble into the zone and score