A fast and furious game to encourage your attackers to use their speed to beat defenders and take the keeper by surprise MORE
In this session the players are working on ball retention, plus angles of passing and receiving, and support around the ball. You need to pay attention to the second angle a player makes after a pass is dispatched ready to play a one-two.
Why use it
Keeping possession by using quick one twos and clever support play is vital for teams to control matches they play in.
You need balls, bibs, cones and two goals. Set up an area
26 x 26 yards with a small gate in each corner. We used 14 players in the session.
How to play
Split your players into a 7v7 with each team having a player behind two of the corner gates positioned diagonally in relation to each other. It’s three-touch in the middle and two-touch on the outside. Players score a point by passing through the gate to their outside player, who will check to the side to receive before quickly ‘bouncing’ the ball back in as his team aims to retain possession. Defenders should try to block or intercept passes to gain possession.
Passing, receiving and support play.
- 1. To keep possession players must use good passing and support movements
- 2. Here a point is scored by the team playing a one two through the goal and keep possession of the ball
- 3. Defending team must press and try to block or intercept passes across the area
- 4. After playing a combination with a team mate the corner players should move off the cone to create space to play a pass
- 5. This is a quick tempo game and expect to see the ball changing hands often and reacting to transition situations