Over the next few weeks I hope to make it easy for you to plan your route back to full training with sessions that you can use within the constraints of the numbers you can use at training. MORE
Create like Neymar
Use this session to teach your players to be take advantage of space on the pitch and show them how to be just as creative around the penalty area as Brazil forward Neymar.
Set up an area of 40×30 yards with a goal at either end and two poles evenly spaced on the sides. We used 11 players. You need balls, bibs, poles or cones and two goals.
How to play it
Split your players into two teams of four plus one neutral player and two goalkeepers. Number the members of each team from one to four.
During the game the coach calls out a number and both players with that number must run around the nearest pole – now the 4v4 is 3v3 for a short period, plus the neutral player making it 4v3 in favour of the attacking team. The coach can call out two numbers to make even more space on the pitch.
In most games there will be moments when the opposition defence opens up, or when there is plenty of space to use on the wings or in the penalty area, but the opportunities can quickly be lost if players don’t take the chance when they see it.
- 1. Players in the two teams are given numbers from one to four, which they must memorise.
- 2. Play starts with a pass out from the goalkeeper and the team attacks the goal opposite
- 3. The neutral player plays for the team in possession of the ball, giving that team a temporary overload
- 4. When the coach calls a number, the player on each team with that number has to run around the nearest pole.
- 5. The coach has called two numbers, so four players are taken out of the game creating lots of space