Ideal for grassroots teams to push opponents back and score against them. It helps teams break at speed quickly getting to the heart of the opposition defence MORE
Keep ball or shoot
In this session lose possession and the team faces a 4v1 attack – keep the ball though and they have a 7 v 4 in their favour.
You need balls, bibs, cones and goals. Set up an area 30 x 30 yards with a goal at each end. We used 11 players in the session.
How to play it
Split your players into one team of 5 passers and 2 goalkeepers and one team of 4 players. The team of 4 attacks either goal when they win the ball in a 4v1. The other team has 1 player in the centre and 4 around the outside plus the 2 goalkeepers, they must pass the ball around and score a point for every 5 passes in a 7v4. The outside players can move anywhere on the sidelines and the team of 4 can press them. Allow outside players to come onto the pitch and defend to progress the session.
Lots of coaching points for technique including first touch, shielding, passing and supporting angles
- 1. The team in possession must make 5 passes to score a point in a 7 v 4 game which includes the goalkeepers as passers
- 2. The players on the sides can move up and down the sidelines
- 3. Players in the centre can press the side players to force a mistake
- 4. If the team of four wins the ball they can attack either goal in a 4v1
- 5. Progress the session so that the outside players can join the 4v1 to make it harder for the team of 4