Use this three-part session to create gaps in the defence by switching play and then making the killer pass MORE
Young players need to have success in training or they will not know what to do in matches – this session gives them time to think about exploiting the final third
You need balls, bibs, cones and a goal in an area 28 x 20 yards with a 2 yard zone in front of each final third. We used 10 players in the session.
You need to split your players into two teams of five. Each team has 2 defenders in the back zone, 2 midfielders in the middle zone and 1 attacker in the final zone. The team in possession can move into any zone but the defending team must stay in their zones. On transitions of play the team that loses the ball must quickly get back into the zones. If players are spending too long in the zones limit them to 15 seconds. There are no goalkeepers in the session.
This is all about players using heads and making eye contact with their team mates. Look for good passing and receiving with accurate shooting.
1. The session starts with a pass from the coach into the defenders on one team – there are no goalkeepers in the session
2. The player in possession can make use of the No Tackle Zone to buy some time to think about where to pass
3. The team in possession can move in any zone but the defending team must stay in their zones
4. Here the player takes time out to see a good pass and set up a goal
5. Teams with the ball can move and pass using the No Tackle Zone to play out from the back and score a goal