Penetrating the opposition is key to creating goalscoring chances. Combination play is a vital part of your coaching strategy and by using this session you can get players to understand how and why linking up in the final third will help your team score more goals. MORE
Pass to progress
This session is all about moving through the thirds and keeping hold of the ball with good passing and movement. It has a great progression through different overload numbers and helps teams move the ball upfield.
Set up a 45×20-yard area split into three zones. We’re using 14 players with the coach as server. You need bibs, balls, cones and a small goal.
How to play it
Start with one defender and two attackers in the near zone; two defenders and one attacker in the middle; and three defenders and one attacker in the end zone. Defenders must stay in their zones at all times.
The attackers in the near zone make three passes before they can pass to the attacker in the middle zone, joining him to make a 3v2. After three passes in this zone, the three attackers can pass into the final zone to link with the attacker there and go 4v3, making three passes before taking a shot.
If the defenders win the ball or it goes out of play, the original two attackers must go to the back of the queue and two new attackers enter the first zone. All players go back to their original positions to restart apart from two new attackers in the near zone.
It has a great focus on players keeping the ball and making passing moves, with the final moment putting the ball in the net.
- 1. The session starts with a pass from the server into one of the two attackers in the near zone
- 2. These attackers must make three passes before they can link up with the attacker in the middle zone and move to support him
- 3. In the centre zone using a 3v2 attacking overload, the attackers must again make three passes before they can progress
- 4. Once three passes have been made the players pass to the attacker in the final zone and join him for a 4v3
- 5. In the final zone the attackers make three passes then score in the net to complete a successful move through the thirds. Rotate the players so everyone plays every role