The long ball over the top of the defence can be difficult to defend against in youth soccer, so I’ve put together five drills and activities to help you coach defending against teams that play long ball tactics… One of the best ways to stop long balls is to get strikers to press high up... MORE
Quick interplay to goal
The aim of this session is to get players working quickly in the areas in front of goal to spot openings and quickly attack them with the end result a shot at goal.
Why use it
This session gives a finishing touch to great possession and penetrative movement.
You need balls, bibs and cones using half your normal pitch. We used 12 players in the session.
How to do it
I like to complete training with a finishing practice so that players can leave feeling confident, so we have three players in a group, with three different scenarios ending with one shot at goal each
Good passing and quick movement with a good shot to finish.
THE THREE SCENARIOS
- 1. The ball is served into the target man by the coach, played back to the second striker who feeds it through for a third man run and finish
- 2. The ball is played into the target man who lays it off for the second striker to take a touch and finish
- 3. The ball is played into the target man who receives, turns and finishes
- 4. You can use cones instead of mannequins to represent defenders
- 5. You can switch players around and with the players you have place real defenders in to progress it to match day realism