To make a success of counterattacking, players must be able to recognise the moment of transition between defence and attack quicker that the opposition. They should then move quickly to take advantage of it. MORE
Score from close range
Scoring from close range isn’t always as simple as it sounds. Try running this session to get your attackers taking shooting opportunities in the penalty area.
Why use it
The idea is to improve an attacker’s movement and for them to take opportunities to shoot from close range, and for defensive players to make overloads to support attacks. The session covers all the attributes of a good attacker: decision-making, movement and technique.
Use an area of 40×30 yards split into two zones. We’ve used 14 players. Each team has a keeper, two defenders, two attackers and two support players.
Play 2v2 in each zone. Players must stay in their zones but link up with their team-mates to create an opportunity in the attacking zone. The attacking team can release a defender into the opposition zone once they have the ball in that zone, making a 3v2 overload to the attackers. This leaves the team short at the back but one of the support players can enter the zone from behind the goal to get it back to 2v2. Players go back once the move is over.
The nearer to the goal a player gets, the harder clear shooting opportunities become, meaning that taking chances to score is vital. Hitting the target is important.
1. The game starts with a pass out from a goalkeeper to one of his defenders in the near zone
2. The players must stay in their zones and link up with their two team-mates in the other zone – here player D receives a pass from his defender and turns to shoot
3. Player D can also link up with C and create a scoring opportunity
4. Once a team gets the ball into their attacking zone, a defender can enter the zone to make it a 3v2 overload in order to create a scoring chance
5. When a defender goes into the attacking zone, a support player from behind the goal can enter the defending zone to restore the 2v2