Use this game to teach your players how to beat stubborn defenders. This session gives the attacking team a deadline to win the ball and score goals. MORE
Soccer drill for predatory attackers
A good attacker is always on the lookout for easy goals so they must be a predator around the goal area looking for rebounds off the goalkeeper, connecting with crosses and pouncing on any loose balls that come their way. This soccer training drill is a great way to coach this.
You need to use an area 40 x 30 yards with two goals. In the example I’ve used five outfield players and two goalkeepers.
Run the soccer drill
- The starting player passes into the forward and makes a supporting run.
- The forward sets the starting player up for a shot at goal. The forward must react and look for any rebounds.
- Immediately after this ball has been played, the forward receives a 2nd pass from the coach and switches the play out to the crosser.
- The forward makes a run towards the opposite goal and attempts to score from the cross.
Rotate the soccer players
- The starting player becomes the forward.
- The forward becomes the crosser.
- The crosser joins the back of the line and waits to become the starting player.
Click here for a soccer (football) drill to boost attacking skills.
Soccer Attack! by Michael Beale contains 80 Shooting and Finishing Drills. Visit the Soccer Attack! homepage to download a sample drill and read all about this comprehensive new manual.