Ideal for grassroots teams to push opponents back and score against them. It helps teams break at speed quickly getting to the heart of the opposition defence MORE
Tales of the unexpected
A fun shooting game with aim of setting your attackers up for the chance to hit long-range shots at goal so they can catch the opposition out.
Set up a 20×20 yard area with goals at each end. We used 12 players. You need balls, bibs, cones and goals.
How to play it
Play a 5v5 plus keepers with three players from each team in the defending half and two players in the attacking half, so it’s a 3v2 in each half.
The game starts with a pass out from the keeper to a team-mate in the same half. Players can only score from their own half but the ball must go to a team-mate in the opposition half, who sets the ball back for a shot at goal. Try to get players using a first-time shot. The size of the pitch is vital to success but don’t make it too small or it will be too easy.
Long-range shooting should be done with the laces but allow players to experiment with side-footed shots to see if they can generate enough power and accuracy to shoot that way. Ronaldo and David Luiz, for instance, have their own techniques for long-range shooting.
- 1. The game starts with a pass out from the goalkeeper and the players combine to get the ball to a team-mate in the attacking half
- 2. Teams can only score from their own half once it has been into the opposition half ¬– they cannot score from the opposition half
- 3. Here the opposition wins the ball from a bad pass and quickly sets up a pass into, and back from, the opposition half
- 4. By creating a bit of space the player can take a first-time shot to catch the goalkeeper out
- 5. Here the player sets up a spectacular shot from out wide to score past the goalkeeper