Scoring last minute goals can be due to the opposition tiring or suddenly becoming less attacking and sitting back hoping for the final whistle – but it can also be because your team is putting in a big effort to score a winner or to rescue a point with clever use of tactics. MORE
This session is all about making full use of the width of the pitch when attacking the final third using wingers or wing backs to rip the opposition apart the way Antonio Conte’s Inter Milan attack their opponents.
Why use it
Spreading play wide when attacking means it is much harder for the defending team to remain compact in front of goal and creates space for attackers to exploit.
Set up a 30×30-yard area with a goal at one end and five-yard crossing alleys on the sides. We used 12 players including a goalkeeper.
How to play
Split your players into six attackers, three defenders, two wide players and a goalkeeper. The attackers work in pairs and each pair has two attacks against the three defenders. As each pair finish, the next pair go quickly putting the defence under maximum pressure. The defenders must try to stop the pass to the wide players or get into a position to block the cross, but they cannot go into the wide zone. Wide players have two touches to cross or pass. Change the defenders after each pair of attackers has had two attacks.
This is good for defending technique and making decisions to either press early to stop the pass to the wide players or to press the wide players and defend tight to stop any attacks.
- 1. The game starts with the pairs of attackers taking on the defenders, this time with target players out wide.
- 2. The defenders must make decisions about when to try to block the pass out wide or to block the cross
- 3. Here the attacking pair has played the ball wide and must get into position to block
- 4. As one defender goes to block the cross, the other two must now cope with the attacking pair in a 2v2
- 5. The covering player does well and heads the ball away before it can be a danger in the penalty area