This training session is a good workout for forwards pressing and forcing mistakes high up the pitch. It also helps to develop link play in the final third. MORE
Vital skills – the drag scissors
The Drag Scissors is a great skill for a winger who wants to buy time and make space. Watch the video THE DRAG SCISSORS IT will help players to learn the skill and use this session will help them to practise it
Why use it
If young players are facing a very fast defender they sometimes need to do more than just feint to get past them – they need to make the defender go the wrong way in order to create more time and space to use the ball. This is a great skill for a winger cutting inside and heading into the penalty area.
Use an area of 20×20 yards with a five-yard shooting end zone. Create two small goals 12 yards apart on the end line. We are using six players. You need balls, bibs, cones and small target goals.
How to do it
The session works with an attacker and a defender. The attacker starts with the ball and passes to a server, who plays the ball down the line for the attacker to run onto. The defender’s job is to get into the shooting zone before the attacker. He can only tackle in the shooting zone. The attacker must cut inside using the skill and try to finish in one of the goals.
This is a vital skill for a winger to get the better of defenders, so he can cut inside instead of going down the line and crossing. The movement should create time and space for the attacker to get into the area.
1. Play starts with the attacker passing to the server who passes down the line for the attacker to run on to
2. At the same time the defender must run to get into a position goalside of the attacker to try to stop him
- 3. The attacker must now make use of the drag scissors to cut inside and push on into the scoring zone
4. He must make sure he has the ball under control and put it into the goal.
- 5. If your players get the drag scissors see if they can do a mirror image using the other foot to drag the ball and go past the defender on the other side