There has been a lot of talk lately about the lack of dribblers in the top leagues around the world – which is why players like Neymar are so expensive. Ignore the parents shouts of GET RID and get your players dribbling. MORE
Running With The Ball
Simple way to practice an important technique in matchplay something every age group and ability level needs to do. Also a handy session to run as a warm up.
Why use it
This activity helps players with running with the ball and beating a player on the dribble. This involves technical execution and as well as speed. It will help with accelerating and decelerating with the ball as well.
You need balls, bibs, cones and goals. Set up two 10×10 boxes 25 yds apart … on top of the 18 yd box. You need three players in each. Set up more boxes for more players. Have at least 10yds in between additional boxes
How to do it
The three players pass the ball aroundinside their own box 1-2 touch On a visual cue 1 player from each grid runs with the ball across to the other grid (It’s a race)! When they arrive with the ball continue passing 1-2 touch waiting for next visual cue… (coach can vary the visual cue including a verbal cue “Go”)
Variations: add a defender to defend the grid…next add a helper to make 2v1 (this is now involving all 3 players)
Running with the ball accelerating and decelerating with the ball
Adding beating a player on the dribble… combining to beat a player
- 1. The session starts with three players passing around the 10 x10 yard square using one or two touch
- 2. You need a coach to give visual or verbal cues to alert the players that they must dribble to the opposite square
- 3. On the coach’s call the race begins and the players with the ball must run with it to the opposite square
- 4. First one to get to the square wins a point for their team
- 5. Players go back to passing in the square before the coach calls again and the next players race each other – make sure a different player goes each time