This is a highly enjoyable knockout training game that relies on individuals to win matches for the team. Try is and see which team will be crowned club world champions. MORE
Skill and vision
Players will have lots of touches in this game but must be aware of the goalkeeper’s position in both attack and defence.
The session is all about time on the ball and players making decisions in attack and defence. Puts skills into game context.
Set up an area 30 x25 yards including a 5 yard shooting zone at each end. You need balls, bibs, cones and 6 target goals (or use cones for goals). We used 8 players in the session.
How to play it
Split your players into two teams of 4 players. Three players from each team play a 3v3 in the central zone but can only score from the 5 yard zone – the ball must go into the zone first or be dribbled in. One player is the goalkeeper playing behind the goal line – the opposition cannot score if he is standing behind the goal they are shooting at. Inside players can pass to him but they must change roles with him if they do. If no one passes to the goalkeeper switch every 3 minutes.
Skills are important and movement to pass and receive the ball vital to success. Look for switching play, awareness of player positions and individual skill on the ball – feints, stepovers and turns.
- 1. Play starts with a pass from the goalkeeper to a team mate in the centre of the area.
- 2. Players can only score from a pass or dribble into the area – here the player runs onto a pass and scores in the goal
- 3. If the opposition goalkeeper is standing behind a goal the attacker cannot score in that goal and must try to score in the other goals
- 4. Defenders are allowed in the shooting zone once the attacker has entered
- 5. Players in the centre can pass to the goalkeeper but if they do they must swap roles and take his place