This simple unopposed warm-up is easy to set up and is perfect to get players in the mood for training or to get their feet moving before a match MORE
Whether your training area is tight or you just want to work on possession skills, this session is perfect to coach players how to move the ball around neatly in a small space.
Why use it
This is a tight game with pressing, movement, support, skills and accurate passing. It’s brilliant for possession and to teach players how to move the ball quickly in a small area.
Set up an area of 30×25 yards with a five-yard box positioned five yards from each end of the area. We used 10 players. You need balls, bibs and cones.
How to play
Split your squad into two teams of five players. You need a target player at each end in the squares. Play is directional. To score players must combine to get the ball to their player in the target zone. Once they have done that the target player passes out to an opposition player who has to come to receive a short pass. If a team puts the ball out without scoring, the coach passes a ball back in to the other team. Swap the target players over regularly.
Look for good pressing technique to prevent forward passing and to force mistakes. The angles and distance of support are crucial in such a small space. There must be compact play when defending the box.
- 1. You need two five-yard target zones in an area of 30×25 with a player at either end
- 2. The main game takes place outside the target zones as teams must try to get the ball to their player in one of the zones
- 3. The coach passes a ball into one of the teams and the game starts with the teams trying to get the ball to the target players
- 4. Players combine in the tight space to get the ball to their target player and score a point
- 5. The target player then plays out to the opposition at the end away from their target zone