How often are you winning at half-time only to throw the game away because your players are not sure what to do? Should they go for another goal or shore up the defence? MORE
Goalkeeper 1v1 against a striker
FC Bayern Munich’s keeper Manuel Neuer is great at pulling off saves when he goes one-on-one with a striker – and if you run this session your goalkeepers could master the art too.
Why use it
This session is great fun to play and good practice for getting your goalkeeper to dive at the feet of strikers when they have raced clear of your defenders. It is good for taking the fear out of goalkeeping.
For this session we have used our penalty area and a normal sized goal. You can set these up at either ends of the pitch or if you take the nets off your goals you can have back-to-back keepers.
How to play
Place seven balls around the edge of the penalty area D, and have your keeper in goal. Players take turns to go 1v1 with the keeper using the seven balls – once one ball goes dead the striker runs to get the next ball and the goalkeeper has to run and touch the goal line in his goal. This is tiring work so rest players after each go.
The goalkeeper needs to come off his line and try to smoother the shots as the striker turns and tries to beat him. The session is also a physical workout, and as the striker tires it should be easier for the keeper to stop him.
- 1. The striker has seven balls to go 1v1 with the goalkeeper – the ball is in play when the striker gets into the penalty area
- 2. The goalkeeper must come off his line and try to smoother the ball before the striker can take a shot
- 3. Once the ball has been played the goalkeeper must race back to touch his goal line and then defend another ball
- 4. The attacker must race to the next ball and quickly get it into play to try to beat the keeper
- 5. If you have two keepers, remove the net and run back-to-back sessions