The start of the season always has coaches frantically trying to find a goalkeeper particularly in the younger age groups. And when you find one what do you do with them? MORE
Soccer drill tips to boost goalkeeper drop kicks
Goalkeepers can score from within their own area, so teaching your goalie effective long kicking skills can be a good attacking move.
- Get your players to hold the ball out in front of them in both hands, or in the palm of the hand opposite to their strongest foot.
- As they move forward, tell them to release the ball.
- Then get them to bring their kicking leg through to meet the bottom half of the ball before it bounces.
- They can let the ball bounce and take it on the half-volley if they prefer to kick the ball at a lower height.
- The fuller the follow-through, the greater the power – but there is a greater chance of a mis-kick.